So the big day fast approaches. Valentine’s Day has become a huge market, pushing anything from chocolate to flowers to greeting cards to sexy lingerie. Well, I’m not buying. Literally. I think it’s a bit much to expect your loved one to make some grand gesture just because the calendar says it’s February 14th.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m as romantic as the next person; but I want true romance that comes from a genuine place in the heart, not a prescribed greeting card poem that must be given perfunctorily on a certain day. (phew! say That 5 times fast!) LOL I want sincerity, passion, and meaning. And I want it all on a budget! 🙂
Having said all that, here is my gift from the heart (on a low budget): A Sweetheart Coupon Book. 🙂
I actually gave this to Spicehubby for his birthday, and he got such a big laugh out of it. He loved it and talked about it for weeks after. 🙂
The idea is to think of things that would hold special meaning for your sweetheart or be a real sacrifice for you–like giving up your movie or restaurant choice. My coupons were: Movie Choice, Restaurant Choice, One Cheesecake (Spicehubby’s favorite), Kitchen Pass (no cooking or clean-up), Laundry Pass (my most hated chore), One Foot Massage, and (Spicehubby’s favorite of all) Bitch Free Pass (no nagging, arguing or, well, bitching). I gave him a few of each because the rule is: Once a coupon is redeemed, it can not be reused.
- Take coordinating scrapbooking paper or cardstock and cut into 1 3/4″ x 4 1/2″
- Using different fonts for each coupon, print each out onto self-adhesive labels
- Stick one label onto each piece of cut scrapbooking paper
- Group together to form a “book” ( I left mine loose and put them into a small leather notepad skin, but you could also punch a hole into each one and tie a ribbon thru them to hold them all together.)
- Voilá! Your gift is ready to give.
Besides humorous, this gift is sure to tell the one you love that you are willing to give more of yourself than any greeting card could ever say.
For more crafty ideas, check out these link parties: